Monday, July 23, 2018

Carrying Like an Olde Skule Dick

A private detective, that is. Like in the old black and white movies.




So I've been carrying a little .380 semi-auto mouse gun for a couple of years now. I knew it wasn't the long term answer, but I already had it, and it fit in my back pocket - until it didn't. Over time, sitting on a gun in a wallet holster was causing problems with my back and butt. Seinfeld fans will recall the episode with George's exploding wallet. Same thing.

Besides, the .380 is barely enough for self defense. I'm not sure it would do more than piss an attacker off, if it came down to it. I wanted something with a bit more punch.

I spent a lot of time reading and looking, and I decided that the right option for me was to carry a compact revolver. So I got one of these*:

Ruger LCR, 38 Special +P

First, the drawbacks:
  1. Five rounds. Make 'em count. 
  2. Reloading under pressure. I'd go with plan B - cardio. Run!
If you follow the Rule of Three, however, you'll know that nearly all defensive gun uses are over in three rounds, three yards and three seconds. If five shots isn't enough, you've probably broken one of the key self-defense rules: don't do stupid things in stupid places with stupid people.

If you can live with those drawbacks, revolvers have advantages over modern semi-auto pistols. Among them (in approximately my order of importance):
  1. Reliability. You pull the trigger and it goes bang. There's no slide to work. There's no chance of a failure to eject or failure to load. It won't go out of battery even if you push it up against an attacker. You can also fire them from inside of a pocket, as there's no slide to get caught on clothing. And if you get a dud round, pull the trigger again and the next one will go bang. To be fair about it, malfunctions in modern semi-autos are rare, but in revolvers, they're virtually non-existent. If the shit hits the fan, you only have to remember to do two things: point it and pull the trigger. It'll fire.
  2. Conceal-ability. While they're not much smaller than modern single stack 9mm semi-autos, their shape makes them easier to hide under your clothes. There aren't as many straight edges and angles to print through your shirt - or dig into your side. While some folks are OK with carrying openly (and it's perfectly legal here in OK), I prefer that nobody knows I'm strapped. Even here, it makes some people nervous, and besides, I don't want a bad guy to whack me first because he can tell I'm armed. 
  3. Safety. Small personal defense revolvers normally have shrouded hammers and use a long double-action trigger pull, which means that you really have to mean it when you pull the trigger. Accidental discharges are rare with this configuration. The thought of putting a striker-fired semi-auto with a short trigger pull in my pants gives me unpleasant vibes in my nether regions.
  4. Power. A 38 Special +P self-defense round is the equal of any 9mm. Someone getting shot with it is going to have a very bad day. Then there's .357 Magnum. It's no fun to be on either end of that round when it goes off. 
  5. Shoot-ability. They're easier to hold because the grip can be shaped like your hand, and not the magazine that has to fit into it. You can get soft grips that absorb recoil. They have a consistent trigger pull. They manage recoil well. To me, they feel like an extension of your hand. 
  6. Simplicity. Time tested design. No safeties or other fiddly bits. Easy to safety check. Easy to clean. No disassembly needed.
  7. Style. Revolvers are cool. If you don't think so, then we can't be friends anymore.

Hey, thousands of old time cops and private detectives can't be wrong. It might be the right option for you too.


* I found mine at a pawn shop for $340 in very good condition! If you want something, look on Armslist and see if a local pawn shop has what you're looking for. I saved $160 off the price of a new one.


No comments: